Year 8 Music
Pupils will be taught performance, composition and music appraisal through the following topics:
- African music (Polyrhythms)
- Offbeat (Reggae and syncopation)
- Jazz Improvisation (Improvisation and the Blues)
Pupils who meet age related expectations will be able to demonstrate the following (in relation to each topic):
- They work in pairs and groups and perform, create, explore and recognise different styles of music
- They create compositions in different styles and use relevant notations to plan, revise and refine their work.
- They evaluate how different musical ideas have been used in their work and in the work of others and are able to rehearse and refine their performances and compositions.
- They recognise and analyse music of different styles and cultures
- They read and perform from simple music notation on the bass and treble clef and have an understanding of time signatures
- They are able to comment on the use of musical elements and instrumentation when listening to a piece of music and use this understanding when planning their own compositions and performing their work