Primary Modern Foreign Languages
At Castle Newnham we believe in the power that learning a language can bring. Some of the key benefits of learning a language are:
- Understanding and appreciation of their own language(s)
- Knowledge about language in general
- Development of cognitive problem-solving skills involved in the decoding and acquisition of language
- Understanding of their place in the world as a global citizen
- Appreciation of social diversity and intercultural understanding
Our chosen language in primary is French. Our aim is to provide the children with access to the language structures of French, as well as a meta-cognitive appreciation of language; learning how to learn a language. This includes developing an overall sense of grammatical structures and comparing them across languages.
The topics covered by KS2 include:
- About me (greetings, introducing yourself)
- Parts of the body
- Classroom Language
Which includes but is not limited to:
- The calendar
- Telling the time
- Weather and seasons
- Sports and hobbies
- Food and drink
- Describing myself and others
- Countries and nationalities
In addition, some lessons will be based around developing intercultural awareness and an understanding of the social, cultural and historical context of the French language.
Leading the way for Language Learning
Castle Newnham is delighted to be leading the way in this area as it has been nominated as a Regional Hub for Primary Languages, as part of the Association for Language Learning.
Mrs Wilkes said “We are delighted to be nominated to run these sessions where primary/lower school teachers will be able to engage in sharing best practice, new ideas and develop exciting resources together. This will benefit primary aged pupils throughout Bedford and in the surrounding area”.